I've read through the whole post and all the replies..
Natural Flier +3 For this to be balanced, someone would have to use your AaM rule.. However, the idea is good..
Option: Can only use with appropriate hand/foot holds -2 Cost Levels) I think Acrobatics could be used for this.. Or just Agility..
Entangle Why dident you leave me a comment if you thought it was to chea?
Imbue Self Looks like a typo.. But it can be corrected, and the option sounds like a good idea, however it would make it a +8 action (you need imbue living things +4).. Metamorphesis is a +6, and they more or less work the same way (except you must pay for duration)..
Transform into element +2 I think +1 seemed fine.. Mostly, if the Mastery is your main power, it will cost you 3 or 5 white stones extra..
Claws retracteble I thought about adding it as a +1 option to make them retracteble.. Not sure how to price it if they are extendable (unless its a rather long range, it's not that much of a advantage)...
Area Effect : 2 100 ft. So instead of Area Affected = Stones spend, its: Area Affected = 2 plus extras stones spend to increase range.. What about things that get a Area Effect for free? I think there should be a difference between people who pay those extra stones and who don't..
Action as a Modifier Dam... Thats... Allot.. I know that its already cheap, but +5?? Dam.. What about PsychoPower Template? It adds free stones and to more than one action, not at full MN offcourse to them all, but still.. Also, if you can't use it to attack or defend, what can you then use it for? Mostly its about attack and defend What about AaM but combines with and Action/Ability?
Teacher and Student I seem to recal that you can spend 2 lines to gain the first level of a learnable Action (General Knowledge, ect) and then the remaining to gain level 2... It think it was a house ruled mentioned at some point.. Spend 10 lines on a new low level Action, or increase your main action.. Hmmmm
Post by WildKnight on Jan 19, 2009 15:48:06 GMT -5
1) This isn't meant as a set of optional rules, but as a complete set of rules to be used in conjunction with one-another. Obviously, some elements won't work separate of the whole.
2) Good point about Acrobatics, I hadn't really considered that. My problem with Acrobatics is that, as written, its extremely vague.
3) I don't see where Imbuement is specifically limited to physical actions, whereas Metamorphosis is. Thats a huge advantage.
4) Depends on how you look at "Transform into Element." When I wrote this, I was working from the idea that you actually BECOME that element, which would provide significant invulnerabilities in most cases (i.e. a being made of flame cannot be harmed by conventional weapons). Since then I've changed my view, I need to update.
5) My point was that I don't think it should cost anything to have extendable/retractable claws vs. the permanent kind. Its a "special effect" and serves no purpose in terms of game mechanics.
6) I use my version of Area Affect, whether you get it for free or pay for it, because the book version is insane. The area gets way too large too fast, making it an ineffective choice for those that actually care if they harm property and innocent bystanders. IMO, my version is an advantage, not a limitation, of the published version.
7) PCPT doesn't do anything on its own. If you don't spend an action that is affected by it, it just sits there doing nothing.
By contrast, every action bought as a modifier is an action unto itself that functioning at all times, without costing stones or taking one of the characters' actions that panel.
Telepathy AaM is hugely advantageous over Telepathy + PCPT, and should cost more.
As far as attacking/defending... there are plenty of actions that people take consistently, but don't use to attack or shift to defense (at least not directly).
8) There is an optional rule that allows you to spend 1 LOE to learn a new Action at AN 1.
2) Well, allot of things are.. Acrobatics (not the action, but the concept) is jumping swining and such (or i think so), but i think it could be used for climbing "easy" walls.. Normal wall-crawling with a disadvantage could offcourse also be used for it...
3) Well, its limited to None learnable actions (which would be actions that involves the body, which metamorphesis also does).. Can you give and example where metamorphesis couldent do the same? (Not sure how that sounds, but I'm not trying to drag your argument down or anything, i would like some help pricing it correctly and examples is a good way to do that).
4)Well, so far i "transform into element" as a means of getting a discount.. Masters can already become powerful, so taking a +1 to give a -1 to a whole bounch of powers sounds fair to me... My first GM made a character for me with transform into element (i had no influence on the creating part, he had electricity).. He allowed me to turn into electricity and jump through power cables and such, even though i dident have phaseshift... But then again, he had mistakken allot of the rules, and we generally dident have that much fun..
If you where suppose to truelly become the element, you would gain... I don't know how many advantages... Fire? Immunity to normal physical harm and fire.. Oh, and anything that touches you is hurt.. Stone? Well.. You.. Become really, really hard..... And heavy.. You could gain some bonuses for the +1, but it should fit the +1..
5) Well, it does... Officer: "Sir, can you tell me why you where here and why you where covered in the victims blood?" PC: "I.. I was just walking through the park when... I saw this man suddenly was attacked by a wild dog.. I all went so fast.. It ran deeper into the park... I.. I tried to keep him alive, but it.... He...." But its not like it should cost awhole Cost Level.. Thats... Aw...
6) Thats true... My players have had the problem that when they tried to affect the area, to much damage would occure... But i still think there should be a difference from getting it for free and actually buying it..
7) Yea, but it still applies to more than one action, which makes it able to applie to allot more situtations than if it only was tied to one action..
Im not sure... Telepathy 4 PCPT 4 or TeleModifier 4.. The first offource requires a Action and a single red stone (which make it a 5 stone effect)... Hmmm.. As i said, im not sure...
8) Aah.. I knew id seen it someplace.. But as far as i remember, the Action has to be "learnable".. Or more close, logical... Like a master of gravity learning flight..
3) Can you give and example where metamorphesis couldent do the same? (Not sure how that sounds, but I'm not trying to drag your argument down or anything, i would like some help pricing it correctly and examples is a good way to do that).
Telepathy & God-like Power both leap immediately to mind.
Post by WildKnight on Jan 19, 2009 20:38:47 GMT -5
Well, part of the answer to your question is "I forgot to take into account the free ability bonus" so I'll likely be changing that.
However, IMO Black Ops does include a lot more things than simple Thievery, including the fact that it should often combine with Combat Actions (any time you can attack an opponent who is unaware of your presence)
I agree with the god-like power (however, how do you gain that with imbuement??), but for some reason Im unsure about telepathy (I can't tell why.. I just feel unsure about it if you couldent "evolve" and gain telepathy, in which case metamorhesis would be able to do it)..
Don't you need the speciality to be able to combine it with Range/Close combat?
Imbuement can give you literally anything. it is by far one of the best/most underrated things int he entire game. Say you can only imbue things youa re touching... imbue your shirt with forcefield, your boots with flight, your ring with phoenix force and your pants with the power cosmic...
and I am just getting started. Even if you can only imbue as many items as your AN... Imbuement can give you anything!!!
According to me, Phoenix force and power cosmic are God Powers are god-like powers, so i would say no.. And if you imbue your shirt with force field, then it just acts as a armor (no 2x defense since you arent spending stones).. Also, remember that you can only imbue one thing at a time and the opponent can just destroy/remove the item which you have imbued.. And it still can't give you anything, only physical actions, and you have to pay for every aspect you want to give it, which can cost allot of stones and will require a high Action Number..
Hmm.. Well, i could make it more clear what you can imbue and not.. Phoenix force and power cosmic are a couple examples which shoulden't be allowed.. But any suggestions on how i should explain it? A rather common used term is "At GM's discretion"..
And i thought about something els: If you do not spend stones into duration and you are touching the object/person, the imbuement will last for a number of panels equal to your AN..
Post by WildKnight on Jan 22, 2009 12:28:54 GMT -5
Well, if you intend to limit it to physical actions only (which is going to negate Telepathy, Telekinesis, and probably some other stuff I can't bring to mind right now), then its much more balanced than I would have thought.
I was trying to balance the price for Imbuement as an "any power you want, but only one at a time" sort of thing, like the Imbuement option of Sorcery and Asgardian Sorcery.
Okay, that sounds about fair.. Metamorphesis is only able (as far as i understand) to give you physical actions.. I could make it and option to allow someone to imbue with Mental actions aswell... But what about things like Masteries? Would they be physical or mental Actions?
Also, I've looked at how you wanted to handle Teleportation attacks and it still seems rather powerful since you just have to touch someone, and some characters won't have Reflexive Dodge and active defense... So a suprise attack is rather useful.. Im mostly thinking about people who mainly use Toughness as defense.. Teleport in, touch them and take them Galactus knows how high up into the air..
I seem to recal that someone once tried to teleport the Hulk, and he had a hard time doing it because he was so huge (i seem to recal it was in World War Hulk).. So why not make it Stones Spend vs Durability + Reflexive Dodge + Active Defense?