Post by takewithfood on Feb 5, 2009 15:38:46 GMT -5
So, we all know they're out there, waiting for you every time you crack open your MURPG books. They're unstable, unpredictable, untrustworthy... they're PROBLEM ACTIONS AND MODIFIERS!
What this thread is about: I'd like people to name some Actions or Modifiers that they think need to be reworked on some level. Maybe they cost too much, or too little; perhaps you think the descriptions are too vague; maybe you just think they can be improved. It's time to name names.
What this thread is NOT about:[/color] I don't really want to see any serious attempts at FIXING these actions. It's way too early for that! Let's just come up with a big list of stuff that we eventually want to get to. Then, as we progress towards a polished version, we can go down our list and tick things off one at a time.
When suggesting a problematic Action or Modifier, please use something resembling the following convention:
Problem: Unstoppable Why: Description is too vague (leads to arguments over whether Strength, AN, or a combination of both is sufficient to overcome resistance of hard obstructions).
Something like that. Putting a concise "why" helps people to understand what you think is wrong with the action. You never know - someone else might have an entirely different problem with Unstoppable!
12. Steal Superpower Why: Two words: instant knockout. There are actually a host of reasons this action is a bad idea for PCs to possess, but the instant knockout is the real game killing aspect (well said, WK)
13. Copy Action/Ability/Modifier Why: Because a single character with this Modifier can steal the thunder of every single one of his teammates.
14. Duplicate self Why: If it is the only power of a 40w character it seems reasonable but if the character has other powers (force fields, leadership, drain energy, etc.) it just increases the problem of those powers. No control over how many duplicates.
15. Ninja Why: Many actions as one and is cheaper than all of them together.
16. Invention Why: Don't get TWF started! Complicated in general; useless in a short game, but overpowered in a long one. May need a fundamental overhaul.
17. Wealth Why: Wealth as justification for equipment is potentially quite broken. Needs to specifically address equipment.
18. Concentration Why: Could benefit from a specific list of what combines. (See Biocomputing below, too.)
19. Biocomputing Why: Could also benefit from a specific list of what combines. (See Concentration, above.)
20. Metamorphosis Why: Really cool power, awkward mechanic and pricing. Needs a major overhaul and appropriate cost balancing.
21. Transform Self Why: Major cost problems. Works great for heroes who's untransformed alter-egos are regular humans; sucks for everything else. By RAW, some Actions such as General Knowledge should logically carry over to both forms without having to pay double. Etc etc. Needs major overhaul, but good luck with that.
22. Photographic Reflexes Why: The idea is great, but the way it works is just... weird. Needs more explanation and more details, or else it'll have gamebreaking potential just like Copy Power. (See 12. Copy Action/Ability/Modifier)
23. x2 Natural Healing Rate (all healing factors discussed in linked thread) Why: It's only explained as a house rule, but let's just get rid of it for good. Will hardly ever be useful. Most teams have healers, and even those that don't, most GMs just handwave healing between issues.
24. Healing, Medical Why: Medical healing should take a lot of time - much more than 1 panel in most circumstances.
For the record, I disagree that Accumulate Energy (MoM) is overpowered, unless you intentionally want to reduce energy regeneration all around which, I know is something TWF is big on, but I'm not a fan of.
My friend who's a stickler for trying to fix games, came up with this.
Project Thoughts/Control Others is nothing more than Telepathic Communications + Illusions bought as one option... That way you have to be creative, it's not just "YOU WILL" it's "Once I'm done, you're going to want to..."
Post by GhostKnight on Feb 5, 2009 19:36:40 GMT -5
Duplicate self Why: If it is the only power of a 40w character it seems reasonable but if the character has other powers (force fields, leadership, drain energy, etc.) it just increases the problem of those powers. No control over how many duplicates.
Telepathy option: Mental Block Why: You most know by now.
Ninja Why: Many actions as one and is cheaper than all of them together.
Copy Action/Ability/Modifier Why: Because a single character with this Modifier can steal the thunder of every single one of his teammates.
Post by takewithfood on Feb 5, 2009 19:53:14 GMT -5
Updated. Going well so far.
When complaints eventually subside, we'll maybe get to discussing which are the most problematic Actions. And when we have a better framework for the core mechanic (I hope that doesn't change too much) we can try to fixing them, or even rebuilding them in hopes of avoiding the same mistakes.